This is the recipe I use for making play dough. I love this recipe because the dough keeps well (in an air-tight container), has a good consistency and is easy to make. Dough made on the stove also lasts longer. I had posted a previous recipe, but updated this post to reflect this new, better recipe.
Homemade Play Dough
(from What’s Up Moms)
- 1/4 cup fine salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup water
- a few drops of food coloring
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla/peppermint extract (optional)
- Some glitter (optional)
- Using a whisk, combine all ingredients (except the food coloring and glitter, if using) in a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly using a spatula.
- When the dough firms up and starts sticking to the sides of the pot, take it off the heat and allow it to cool.
- Add the food coloring and knead it in. Add the glitter, if using.
- Store it in a container (preferably an air-tight one).