This is a simple tomato sauce that I make for E.
Since I usually make my own tomato sauce, I just modified the recipe I usually use. This recipe uses fresh tomatoes and no salt or sugar. You can also use canned tomatoes, but use only the unsalted variety. If using fresh tomatoes, I find cherry tomatoes the best as it is most reliable when it comes to sweetness and tomato-y taste.
Simple Tomato Sauce for Baby
- 250g cherry tomatoes, chopped (I chop them finely using my food processor)
- ¼ onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (make sure it is 100% tomato with no salt)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat olive oil in small pot.
- Add in onions, bay leaf and red pepper flakes and saute for about 2-3 minutes on medium high heat.
- Add in garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- Add in tomato paste and turn heat down to medium low. Stir and cook for at least 5 minutes. You want the tomato paste to caramelize and develop a nice rich tomato flavor.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and simmer uncovered for about 15-20 minutes. The longer you simmer it, the richer the flavor of the sauce.
- Remove from heat, let cool and then freeze or serve with desired pasta or other foods. At present, E enjoys her tomato sauce with a plain rice cake.