The hubs and I recently invested in a Nutribullet. We bought it primarily because it’s easier to clean than a food processor and can do simple small jobs like mince garlic, make food purees and smoothies. That being said, our trusty food processor will never be replaced – how can I make my favorite food pro bread otherwise?
Last week we had some pears sitting in the fridge that needed to be used up. We decided to experiment and combined chunks of pear, a small handful of walnuts, yogurt and raisins in the Nutribullet. To top off the smoothie, we drizzled a bit of honey on top. The smoothie was delicious and rich – almost like a pudding. It was also very refreshing. The hubs decided to make another batch and added some rum and crystallized ginger into it…yum!
The next day I recreated the smoothie and added some cinnamon to boot. Feel free to experiment and substitute raisins with figs or dates. I am sure the result will be just as delicious.
Pear, Walnut, and Raisin Smoothie
- 1 pear (we used D’Anjou pears), diced
- 1/8 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt
- 1/8 cup raisins, or more if desired (you can also use figs or pitted dates)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- Splash of rum (optional)
- Honey, for garnishing
- Combine all ingredients except honey in the blender. We used a Nutribullet, but you can also use any other blender or even a stick blender. If you are using a stick blender, I would suggest chopping the walnuts into smaller pieces.
- Pour into serving cup and drizzle honey on top before serving. You can also garnish the top with extra walnuts.