For the past few weeks I’ve had a couple of biscuit recipes sitting on my phone’s Chrome browser. I’d been meaning to make biscuits, craving rather and finally took the plunge last week. I bought a container of buttermilk and there was no turning back. I tried two biscuit recipes and liked one in particular very much. What better dish to go with biscuits than fried chicken…but I was reluctant to fry chicken after thinking about all that butter I had added to those biscuits. I also didn’t marinate my chicken beforehand in buttermilk…yes, a cardinal sin…or rather, I didn’t plan very well. Anyhoo, I found this recipe on Pioneer Woman and was set. This recipe doesn’t require any marination and frying (double yes). The hubs really liked the sour flavor the yogurt added to the chicken (yes, he can be weird at times), but I have to admit, the tang was nice. The chicken went well with the biscuits and all was well.
Crispy Yogurt Chicken
(taken from here)
- 2 cups plain, unflavored yogurt
- 2 cloves (to 3 cloves) garlic
- Parsley, to taste
- 1 whole lemon (juice only)
- 12 chicken drumsticks (or thighs)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Butter (1 pat for each piece of chicken) (I didn’t use butter but misted my chicken drumsticks with cooking spray)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour yogurt into a mixing bowl. Peel and mince garlic; add garlic to the yogurt.
- Chop up a small amount of fresh parsley and add it to the yogurt. Add lemon juice. Mix together to combine.
- Rinse chicken and pat it dry. Sprinkle with (kosher) salt.
- In another bowl, place the bread crumbs. Sprinkle with salt and stir lightly.
- Butter or oil a baking dish. With a pair of tongs, place the chicken, one piece at a time into the yogurt mixture. Turn it over thoroughly to coat.
- Roll the chicken in the Panko bread crumbs. Cover each piece thoroughly with bread crumbs and place in the baking dish.
- Place a slice of butter over the large part of each chicken piece or mist the chicken piece with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350ºF oven for 1h to 1h 15 min, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- When the chicken is nice and golden, remove from the oven and enjoy!