I am a pasta lover and am pretty adventurous when it comes to trying out new pasta dishes. I’ve never had this pasta dish before at a restaurant but was introduced to it on a cooking show. I can’t remember which cooking show it was, or maybe I had read about it somewhere. Regardless, I felt like making this dish. I originally planned to add some canned artichokes
I had in my pantry. Turns out, I must have used up that can of artichokes to make spinach and artichoke dip, which is the main reason why I always have a can of artichokes lying around in my pantry. As such, I just made do with the olives and capers in the fridge.
This is a relatively simple dish to put together. The recipe calls for seasoned breadcrumbs, which I made by just combining some panko breadcrumbs with seasoned salt (Lawry’s). The hubs loved this dish and said it was definitely a keeper. The combination of salty olives and capers as well as crispy breadcrumbs struck a chord with him. However, if you like your pasta saucy, you might not be a big fan of this dish.
Pasta with Olives and Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 pound linguine or pasta of choice
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, toasted (I used 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs and combined it with 1 teaspoon of Lawry’s seasoned salt)
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and diced
- 1-2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup canned artichokes (optional)
- Olive oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved or grated Parmesan, to garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions on packet.
- Heat oil in pan. Saute onions for about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add in the olives, capers, and artichokes (if using) and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine. If it’s too dry, add in some pasta water.
- Add in the toasted breadcrumbs and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with Parmesan and season with salt and pepper, to taste. You might only need pepper as the breadcrumbs are seasoned.