This is a ridiculously simple recipe and inspiration came from Cooking with Dog’s tofu steak with mushroom sauce. You can watch the video here.
The hubs loved it because it combines two of his favorite eats – fried tofu and mushrooms. This was eaten as part of our no-sugar diet and serves as a great protein replacement.
Fried Tofu with Sauteed Mushrooms
(taken and adapted from Cooking with Dog; click here to watch video)
- 1 packet of firm tofu (14oz or about 400g); halved in thickness and patted dry with paper towels
- Salt and pepper to season the tofu
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- 50g enoki mushrooms (you can also use other mushrooms like shitake or maitake (Hen of the Woods) mushrooms)
- 50g shimeji mushrooms
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons light soy sauce (I used the Japanese variety)
- White pepper
- 1/2 a carrot cut into small sticks
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Oil for frying
- To make the fried tofu, season tofu with some salt and pepper. Dust on some cornstarch or flour just before frying. Fry the tofu in about 1 inch of hot oil over medium high heat for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or till golden brown and crisp. Once done, place on rack and set aside.
- To make the sauteed mushrooms, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in frying pan. Add in the carrot and saute for about 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in the mushrooms and saute till mushrooms reduce in size, about 2-3 minutes. Add the soy sauce, pepper and green peas and saute till green peas are cooked, about another 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon the sauteed mushrooms over the fried tofu to serve. Enjoy it hot!