I am reluctant to call this a broccoli potato soup even though it has potatoes blended into it. A broccoli potato soup, in my opinion, has chunks of potatoes. This soup is just smooth and the potatoes are added to give it a creamy texture without the need to add any cream. This soup was made because the hubs and I are (were) on a diet. Ordinarily, I would also add some bacon to give it more flavor. If you use vegetable stock, like I did, the recipe is also 100% vegetarian and vegan.
Creamy Broccoli Soup (Dairy-Free)
- 1 large head of broccoli (about a pound), cut into small florets
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large russet potato or 2 medium size potatoes, diced
- Vegetable or chicken stock, enough to just cover the ingredients in the pot (about 1.5-2 liters)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Heat olive oil in pot over medium high heat. Add in the onions and saute until translucent. Add in the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in the broccoli and potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock of choice until it just covers the ingredients in the pot. You want to be careful not to add too much liquid.
- Bring to boil and then simmer till broccoli and potatoes are soft and break easily, about 20-30 minutes.
- Transfer soup to blender or using an immersion blender, blend soup till smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm. You can sprinkle some chilli flakes on top to add some heat.