The hubs and I made these spiced candied nuts primarily to give away as Christmas gifts. Last year we made granola (recipe here) but decided against a repeat this year. I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen and it also helped that we had a bunch of nuts that we needed to use up. These nuts are terribly addictive and very good.
Sugar-and-Spice Candied Nuts
(taken from here)
- 1/3 cup dark-brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot smoked paprika (you can also use cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound walnut or pecan halves or whole peeled hazelnuts (we also used almonds)
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Mix sugars, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon, making sure there are no lumps; set aside.
- Beat egg white and water until frothy but not stiff. Add walnuts, and stir to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture, and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread sugared nuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet fitted with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and separate nuts as they cool.
- When completely cool, pour the nuts into a bowl, breaking up any that stick together.