It was fish night again and the husband and I had two options – fish poached in a foil packet or lemon caper fish. But I was kinda sick of those two options and after watching an episode of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on Food Network, I HAD to have some fried comfort food.
This cornmeal crusted fish hit the spot in a healthier way. The husband found the recipe online and since it was from The Catfish Institute (no kidding), we thought it must be the most legit recipe out there. It also did not hurt that it was very easy. As usual, my comments are in red.
Southern Cornmeal-Crusted Catfish
(taken from The Catfish Institute)
- 3 to 4 catfish fillets
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or plain, nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon wedges
- Stir together buttermilk or yogurt and hot sauce.
- Brush on catfish and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Season fish with salt and pepper.
- Coat catfish lightly with cornmeal, shaking of the excess.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- When skillet is hot, put in catfish and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, turning only once, until golden and crisp.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.