There are just some things you have to eat before you leave Montreal.
I used this quick and easy (and healthier) bread and butter recipe I had posted before. I made a few changes though.
Bread and Butter Pudding with Croissants
(adapted from here)
- 5-6 butter croissants, halved
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 cups milk ( I used 2%)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the baking dish with butter (I used a 9×9 inch Pyrex). Place croissants in dish with pointy tops facing upwards.
- In a small bowl beat the egg, sugar and vanilla extract together and set aside.
- Place the milk into a small saucepan and bring to the simmer. Add ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Once the milk is hot pour over the egg mixture, beating constantly to ensure there are no lumps.
- Pour the milk and egg mix over the bread and let sit for about 15 minutes to absorb.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until top is crunchy and golden and pudding feels set. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- You can serve this with some jam at the side or a custard sauce.