Originally posted: Dec 2010
Simple and satisfying. Recipe adapted from Good Housekeeping (December 2010) to serve 1-2 people. Would make a good packed lunch too though you might want to separate the sauce and couscous and combine them when you are ready to serve.
Couscous with Shrimp and Spicy Tomatoes
- Couscous – according to the instructions on my box – 2/3 cup couscous, 1 cup water. Made 2 portions.
- 1 carrot, diced
- Handful of sliced green beans (I used frozen)
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup canned tomatoes
- Handful of frozen shrimp/fresh shrimp
- 1/2 onion, diced.
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- In microwave safe bowl, combine carrots and beans and 1 tablespoon water; cover with some vented plastic wrap and microwave on high for about 4-5 minutes till veggies are just tender.
- Prepare couscous according to label instructions.
- In frying pan, fry onions till golden, add red pepper flakes, cook 1 minute. Add veggies and tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and then reduce heat to medium. Add shrimp and cook.
- Season with salt, pepper. Sometimes I add a little sugar to balance the flavors.
- Serve over couscous.