Originally posted: Jan 2011
This basic tomato pasta sauce can be used for any dish that requires tomato sauce (so I would think). Recipe is courtesy of Frank, an Italian-Australian.
Basic Tomato Sauce
(courtesy of Frank Russo)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2-3 cloves garlic (or more if desired)
- 1 large can diced/whole tomatoes (28oz)
- 1 can tomato paste (sometimes I don’t add this)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste. (I usually add 1 teaspoon salt)
- Sugar (optional) (I usually add about a tablespoon)
- Olive oil
- Dried Italian herbs (optional)
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Heat pan with olive oil and fry onions, garlic and bay leaf till onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Also add in dried herbs, if desired. Stir.
- Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Add in fresh basil, if desired.